Fruit Chaat, Indian Fruit Salad
This is a bright, colorful, and refreshing fruit chaat (snack) that can also be used as a fruit salad. My siblings and I looked forward to the fruit chaat, served regularly as part of our lunch. It was a delicious way of eating a great variety of fresh, seasonal fruit. This by itself will brighten up any meal, and it tastes great at any time of day.
- 2 oranges skin removed and sliced in ½ inch each segment
- 1 apple peeled and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- 1 firm banana sliced into approximately ¼ inch rounds
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup English or Asian cucumber cubed into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 green chili finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp ginger juice
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
In a large bowl, combine the fruit and cucumber with the green chili and cilantro. Toss and set aside.
Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, making sure the sugar is completely dissolved. Pour the dressing over the fruit when ready to serve.