Two flavors that scream Christmastime are peppermint and chocolate. Put them together in a drink that’ll warm you from the inside out and you have the perfect holiday coffee—a peppermint mocha!
What does a peppermint mocha taste like?
As the name suggests, this decadent coffee drink has a strong mint flavor. It’s reminiscent of a candy cane dipped in chocolate and swirled in a yummy warm coffee. This peppermint mocha recipe is sweet, but not overly so, and you can emphasize the chocolate, peppermint, or sweet flavors by adding whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or crushed peppermint as garnishes.
If you’re in the mood for sharing, you can easily double this peppermint mocha to make enough coffee for you and a friend!
Do peppermint mochas have coffee in them?
Yes! A peppermint mocha is a coffee beverage that’s made with a few ounces of strong espresso (or fresh brewed drip coffee if you’d prefer).
What’s in a peppermint mocha?
The ingredient list for this warming holiday beverage is very short. To make a peppermint mocha, you’ll need:
- Either espresso or strongly brewed black coffee
- Peppermint extract
- Whole milk
- Cocoa powder
- Optional—whipped cream, crushed peppermint candies, or chocolate shavings for serving
Peppermint extract has a really strong flavor, which is why we recommend using only an 1/8th of a teaspoon in this peppermint mocha. If you prefer a stronger peppermint flavor, you can go up to a ¼ teaspoon, or try adding crushed candy canes to the top of your coffee when it’s time to serve.
Do I need an espresso maker?
Espresso works well when making this peppermint mocha recipe because it’s a very strong coffee. If you don’t want the flavor of the peppermint to overpower the coffee flavor, then I highly recommend using espresso. But if you don’t have a way to brew espresso, you can brew a strong cup of your favorite bold coffee using another method. It will still taste delicious!
If you don’t have an espresso machine yet, I recommend picking up the Bialetti Express. It brews a great cup of strong espresso without a costing you an arm and a leg.
How do I make a peppermint mocha?
There are only a few simple steps standing between you and your next favorite holiday beverage. To make a peppermint mocha:
- Brew your espresso or coffee so it’s hot and ready to go.
- While the coffee is brewing, whisk together the sugar, milk, cocoa, and peppermint extract in a small saucepan on the stovetop. Heat until boiling.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and use a milk frother or immersion blender to create a nice froth.
- Pour the espresso or coffee into a mug for serving.
- Pour your peppermint chocolate froth over the coffee or espresso.
- Top your mocha with optional whipped cream, crushed candy canes, chocolate shavings, chocolate syrup, or peppermint syrup. Yum!
You don’t have to froth your milk, but it really adds some delicious texture to this Christmas coffee. You can use an emersion blender, or a milk frother to achieve a light foamy froth.
Can I make this drink vegan?
Yes! This peppermint mocha recipe calls for whole milk because it produces the best froth. If you’re not focused on a froth in your coffee, then you can sub the whole milk for any milk of your choosing—and that includes plant-based and non-dairy milk such as soy milk, coconut milk, or almond milk.
Looking for more festive drinks?
The holiday season is a great time for signature beverages both warm and cold, with and without alcohol: