Many people are switching to a vegetarian diet for health reasons.
Dr Ekta also said that people who consume meat-based products have a high risk of inflammation markers in their blood.
A vegetarian diet is considered healthy and can cut down the possibilities of many chronic diseases, believe experts. Not only this, there are a host of other benefits for those who choose a vegetarian diet over a non-vegetarian one. This may seem like a tough task for non-veg lovers though. Have you ever wondered what happens when a non-vegetarian goes vegetarian for a month? Dr Ekta Singhwal talked about these benefits in an interview with News 18. Let’s take a look.
1. Availability of the same nutrients in both diet plans: There are many reasons why non-vegetarians switch to a plant-based diet. They are switching to vegetarianism especially for health reasons. Dr Ekta said that the nutrients available in non-vegetarian foods can also be availed from vegetarian foods.
2. Reduces chronic diseases: Ekta Singhwal also said that eating a vegetarian diet can cut down the risks of chronic illnesses like heart diseases, high blood pressure, and diabetes.
3. Soothes the digestion process: As per the doctor, the plant-based food alternatives are rich in fibre quotient and improve the digestion process. Dr Ekta said that the plant-based diet also eases the problem of constipation and smoothens bowel movements.
4. Reduces weight: The doctor said that the plant-based diet can also prove to be immensely beneficial for people who want to shed pounds. As per Dr Ekta, plant-based foods have a low-calorie count compared to their meat counterparts. According to the doctor, the vegetarian diet also gives a feeling of fullness that helps to cut down the cravings.
5. Reduces inflammation: Dr Ekta also said that people who consume meat-based products have a high risk of inflammation markers in their blood. The inflammation markers will be even more high in the case of people who consume processed meat-based foods.
6. Lowers cholesterol: Meat foods increase cholesterol levels, while plant-based foods contain good cholesterol. The good cholesterol is required by the body to eliminate the bad fats.
7. Energy and other benefits: Plant foods are rich in nutrients and minerals. They increase the energy levels in our bodies. Non-vegetarian foods, especially red meat, increase the risk of cancer. Eating pork and other processed meats can lead to rectal cancer. Eating beef can cause liver diseases and testicular cancer.